applications engineer/inside sales engineer
JCS works to know our customers’ businesses to provide efficient and reliable solutions, and exceptional service, to exceed their expectations. The commitment to our core values is the foundation of lasting relationships and fosters a culture where our employees can grow and thrive.
We are founded on the principles of respect, integrity, trust, wellness, and excellence. These universal principles guide us in achieving the personal satisfaction of providing well-engineered, innovative solutions for our customers' processing plants. Working at JCS is like working with family.
We are looking for an Applications Engineer to join our engineering team as a key part of our steady growth as we continue to strengthen our relationships with our customers. Your role will be to understand from the account manager what the customer needs and match that to a JCS solution. You will spend much of your time rubbing shoulders with our engineers and vendors, understanding what JCS can deliver, as well as how our vendors complement JCS.
If that sounds like a fulfilling way to spend your workdays, we want to hear from you!
In addition to all the free coffee you can drink, we offer competitive pay with a full array of benefits, including:
- Nine paid holidays
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Health and Dental Insurance with a generous premium contribution by JCS
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance, paid by the company
- Group life Insurance, paid by the company
- A 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, currently with a matching contribution
That’s a little bit about us. Now, let’s talk about you and who we’re looking for to fill our position.
The Applications Engineer will work under the direction of the VP of Engineering to analyze customers’ needs, articulate technology and product positioning, identify technical issues, and propose reliable processing solutions that enable them to achieve higher operating efficiencies, improved quality and reduced production costs.
- Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S) degree required; bachelors’ degree in Engineering is preferred
- Two years’ experience working in an engineering services company, preferred
- Ability to travel (~10%) to customer sites throughout the U.S. is required
- Familiarity working with Microsoft Office; AutoCad is a plus
- Ability to understand and interpret piping and instrumentation diagram (P&ID’s), block diagrams and functional descriptions
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Good decision making, problem resolution and creative thinking skills
- Ability to assimilate detailed technical information
- Evaluate Customer System Requirements
- Consult with account managers and process engineers to understand system objectives and functionality.
- Consult with JCS engineers to understand system and component, functions, assembly, and design.
- In collaboration with other JCS engineers, produce the preliminary P&ID(s).
- Meet with account manager to validate the P&ID.
- Specify Components and Scope of Supply
- In collaboration with JCS engineers and sales engineers, specify the Scope of Supply for the quoted system.
- In collaboration with JCS engineers, draw up the project Bill of Materials.
- In collaboration with JCS engineers and project managers, specify engineering labor requirements to complete the project.
- Validate component pricing, availability, and delivery schedules with vendors.
- Write Project Quotations
- In accordance with JCS methodology and quotation templates, write the project quotation together with all optional configurations.
- Final Review of Proposal with Account Manager
- Review the quotation, assumptions and any critical factors and the sale price with the account manager during the Sales Meeting.
- Maintain Vendor Relationships
- Become familiar with and maintain contact with all major component and fabrication vendors.
- Evaluate vendor reliability and performance. Learn vendor strengths and weaknesses.
- Contact vendors to obtain pricing and delivery lead times for quoted components.
- Obtain commitments from vendors for pricing, discounts, and delivery for specific projects.
- Maintain vendor and supplier information data base.
- Track Quotation Results
- Maintain the JCS CRM database of quotations in process, quotations delivered, and quotations converted to sales orders.
- Assist marketing efforts with this data and quotation experience to define target markets and all efforts to improve quotation conversion rate.
- Assist with the transfer of the project from Sales to Project Management.
- Participate in and contribute to Transfer Meeting.
- Participate in and contribute to Project Kick-Off Meeting.
- Maintain all quotation and cost templates.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees so classified.
Due to the volume of resumes we receive; you will be contacted only if the search committee feels that your qualifications meet our requirements.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer.